This should be a quick post, but I had to get this out of my system. This week at work was awesome! The first two days went by like usual, nothing too crazy until right before I was going to leave I started talking with one of our production coordinators Ryan. He's a pretty young guy, was a PA like 2 years ago...anyways... We started talking about this and that and wound up on what I was wanting to eventually do. I told him I'm torn between editing and graphic design. Once again, like anyone else who I've mentioned the words graphic design to, he started getting really excited. He told me, like I've been told many times since I've been out here, that graphic artists are in a high demand and I could really move up in the world quickly if I followed that path. Though I enjoy it, I'm not sure If I like it more than editing. -That will no doubt be one of the toughest choices I ever have to make when that time comes.- We talked a little while longer about his thoughts on grad school and how he thought it would be a waste of time for me (there's some good news) and then ended back on graphics. He drug me over to our graphics guys on the 6th floor, who create graphics for everything except theatrical stuff (like movie trailers), and let me introduce myself. Within 2 minutes of talking and me spiting out the words I know...and like...After Effects and Photoshop I was already offered work. Real work. Not checking in tapes or even creating DVD covers (which I have no problem with), but real work that will actually be seen by real people!
They went and talked to my boss, George, asked if they could have me for a day and he said it was no problem. I ended up being handed the graphics for a lot of the extra content for the Ally McBeal boxed set that is coming out. Did I mention I got my own computer and desk to do this on (it's saved for freelance artists, but who cares)? SWEET! So I worked on that Wednesday and came into work again Thursday to finish up. Everything was approved by the producer in charge and he seemed to really like it. I got the vibe that he and the graphics guys I was working with were all impressed that I knew what I was doing at my age, so I felt really good. I was told that I WOULD be used again, haha. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on some of this content I've created to put on my highlight reel, but I don't know how copyright laws affect that kind of thing.
All of that to say it was an awesome week. The icing on top of that was sitting down and talking to a few of my really good friends this week about what was going on their lives and getting our friendship back on track. So yeah, awesome week, and there's still the weekend! I didn't end up going to San Fran, but it will happen soon enough. Hopefully Jenn and Marc will be able to make it down to LA for the Third Eye Blind concert in a week or two so we can hang out down here. Yes, I said Third Eye Blind concert...they're touring again! Get excited, because I am, hahaha.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, all of us here in the back woods are empressed. Keep it up. We love you.
ReplyDeleteI mean impressed!!!! HaHaHaHa
ReplyDelete